Don’t ShELF Fire Safety This Winter

Don’t ShELF Fire Safety This Winter

During the holidays usually fire safety is not the first thing on someone’s mind.  With having to make sure the house is decorated by the time relatives come over, thinking about keeping candles or any open flames way from flammable objects usually gets overlooked. Not only open flames but putting too much strain on circuit breakers can cause electrical fires as well. Unfortunately, if fire safety is overlooked this year’s Christmas could be unforgettable in the worst way.

Look below for some quick tips and tricks to keep your holiday from going up in smoke!

Light Safety

  • Double Check Light Strands. Make sure your light cords are not frayed or show any other kind of damage before you plug them in. If the light strand is worn out it is time to get a new light strand.
  • Make sure all decorations and lights are turned off before bed or leaving the house. Our recommendation is to have a timer for the lights and decorations to be turned off at the same time every day.
  • Keep Christmas Tree Hydrated.  If a Christmas tree isn’t watered every day, it will dry out. If a tree becomes dry it becomes a real safety hazard especially if lights are on it. The lights could easily overheat, which could cause the tree to go up in flames.

Smoke Safety

  • Smoke Detectors should be checked. Make sure your smoke detectors are working. There should be one in each bedroom and at least one in each level of the home.

Candle Safety

  • Flame but No Fire. It may be best to consider switching out an actual flame candle with a battery-operated flameless candle. This way you can still get the look without worrying about remembering to blow out the flame every time you leave the room.
  • Decorating with Candles. A good rule of thumb to follow is to always keep any open flame at least 12 inches away from flammable objects.

Follow these tips and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to check out your local fire stations website!